Frequently Asked Questions

When do classes meet?

Classes meet in the evenings and on weekends, typically 6pm-10pm on weeknights (Monday through Friday) and 8 hours on Saturdays. Therefore, students who have jobs with standard business hours can continue working while completing the program.

Where are the classes held?

All the classes will meet in Westwood Village (Los Angeles). The majority of the classes will meet in one of the many classrooms on UCLA’s main campus. Some classes will also meet at the Gayley Center, which is located on the corner of Lindbrook Dr. and Gayley Ave. More information on UCLA Extension’s locations can be found here.

Do high school or college GPA or grades determine admission?

We do require that the applicant has received a high school diploma or equivalent but the admission into the Program is not based solely on High School GPA.

The admissions process of the Medical Assistant Program is based on a variety of criteria; admission will be granted on the applicant’s overall strength relative to the pool of applicants. The Admissions Committee, made up of MA Program faculty, assess the applicant’s entire application package collectively.

If you did not do well in high school, we would suggest using your written statement and personal references to show evidence of your skills, abilities, and share other relative achievements that would indicate you have the ability to be a successful medical assistant. You may also utilize the written statement to indicate any extenuating circumstances that may have prevented you from doing well in high school.

Are materials covered in the tuition fee?

Yes, books and uniforms are covered as a part of the tuition fee. Books will be delivered directly to the students on a quarterly basis as the program progresses. Uniforms will be required for clinical rotation hours.

Are any of the courses transferable to other universities?

The courses that comprise this program are X 400-level courses. UCLA Extension’s X 400-level courses may be transferable to other institutions, but the transferability of courses would wholly depend on the accepting institution. Some institutions may accept the transfers while others will not; transfers would be determined on a school-to-school, course-to-course basis. It is the student’s responsibility to find out from the accepting institution whether the courses can be acceptable for transfer. More information can be found at the UCLA Extension website.

How many hours per week are students expected to commit to the program?

The program will expect students to be in class for 20 hours per week and spend approximately another 20 hours per week in studying and completing coursework (reading, assignments, projects, etc.).

How would I park?

Students employed by UCLA Health who have UCLA Staff Parking Permits (yellow permits) will be able to park in any of the lots on campus and Westwood Village that have unreserved parking after 4:30pm on weeknights and all day on weekends. Students who don’t have a UCLA Staff permit for Westwood will be provided with a quarterly night/weekends permit by UCLA Extension.

What do I need to do after I apply?

If you are considered for acceptance, you will be contacted and provided with a provisional acceptance notice. Once you receive this notice, you must complete the following:

  1. Medical examination
  2. Criminal background check
  3. Attend mandatory orientation

All students are considered conditionally accepted and will be required to obtain Criminal Background Checks and a Medical clearance prior to the start of class. Further information will be provided when the individual’s admission into the Medical Assisting Program is confirmed.  Failure to provide required documentation will result in termination of the application process.


Do students receive certificates?

Students who successfully complete the full program will be awarded a certificate by UCLA Extension and will also be able to order their academic transcripts at any time. More information on certificate candidacy and transcripts can be found at the UCLA Extension website.

What types of campus resources are available to students?

As a UCLA Extension’s certificate student, you will be able to obtain a BruinCard, which permits you access to various facilities on UCLA’s main campus. More information on BruinCard access can be found at the UCLA Extension website.